Mark 1:12-13
The
Spirit immediately drove him out into the wilderness. And he was in the
wilderness for forty days being tempted by Satan. And he was with the wild
animals, and the angels were ministering to him.
Anywhere, Lord. I had meant it. It was easy to say. I had no
idea where you would ask me to go, and that was more than exciting. Anywhere
but here! That’s why I wanted you. I didn’t like whom or where I was, so, this new life…with you, was it. You
promised a lot.
Will you satisfy my hungry heart?
Yes.
Yes.
Can you keep me from falling and failing?
Yes.
Yes.
Will you forgive when I want to leave you?
Yes.
Yes.
When you say “Yes’”, even now, after I have believed in you for so long, I still too often find myself replacing your words with my own: “maybe not/definitely
not/no way”.
And so you, being who you are, ask me to let you step into
my desert of fear, doubt and temptation, which settles in my mind and my soul. Even
though we’ve been here before there is apprehension. Even the first step, crossing
from grass onto sand, will expose thirsts inside me too shaming for you to see.
But you are already ahead of me there, waiting, where I may lay down each terrifying
question safely one by one. Burn them up. May the fierceness of your heart in
this fire stand over my questions and replace them with answers only you can
give.
Drown my endless sand-sea of doubt with your revealed
Righteousness; wash the dry terrain with the water of your Word. As we walk, I
will watch my doubts fall to the ground, where you have caused them to
fall before. Answers will keep coming up, maybe not all at once, but the Savior of the world, the one who himself has risen from the ground, will keep saying, “I
am who I say I am.”
You are my “Yes”. I will hold tightly to that answer as you grasp my hand.
You are my “Yes”. I will hold tightly to that answer as you grasp my hand.
Corinthians 1:20
For all the promises of God find their Yes in him. That is why it is through him that we
utter our Amen to God for his glory.
No comments:
Post a Comment